INTENTIONPut FIRMM Whale Watching on your schedule, and learn what else deserves a visit by using our Tarifa trip builder.
The foundation firmm creates meeting opportunities between humans and animals. The experience of the animals in the wild and sharing knowledge about the animals should be the basis for the demand for understanding and love for the marine mammals and the conservation of their natural environment, the oceans. The encounter with the marine mammals in freedom through respectful whale watching as well as constant educational work with information at first hand, research and training lead to a sensibilization of the people under the motto of the foundation ‘Only what we people know, we can appreciate and love – and we are willing to protect.’
In several locations firmm builds research centres, in which scientists and interested people collect data and prepare information hand in hand. At events the foundation presents the results to a broad public. In addition to this firmm attaches great importance to cooperation with authorities, schools, public institutions and the media.
Only what we people know, we can appreciate and love - and we are willing to protect.
The foundation firmm actively dedicates itself to the protection of the whales and their habitat. Research, information and education of all the people are the main objectives. As the name implies, the foundation has a very great desire to share the research results with as many people as possible. Therefore it sees itself as a platform for exchange between science and interested outsiders. The foundation wants to present new ways, in which respectful and ecological behaviour towards the oceans and their inhabitants without exploitation can be achieved.
Tasks and activities
In the foreground are whale and dolphin observations and the preparation and passing on of the collected knowledge. In the summer months firmm concentrates above all on research. With boats the team sails out into the Strait of Gibraltar, to check the whale stocks and to register the behaviour of the animals. Interested people have the opportunity, to accompany these trips and to watch over the shoulders of the staff members at work. In winter giving information comes to the fore. With the help of marine biologists Katharina Heyer presents the acquired knowledge to a broad public all over Europe.
An overview of the range
* Daily observation trips with the firmm-boats to the dolphins and whales in their natural environment. From Tarifa in the Strait of Gibraltar including introductory information that lasts half an hour, 2-hour tour (April – October).
* One or two-week intensive whale watching courses, in which thorough knowledge is theoretically supplied by marine biologists and becomes concrete by daily trips.
* Systematic identification, registration and processing of the behaviour of the marine mammals over a multi-year period. This offer is very intensively used mainly by marine biology students, but also by other volunteers. The data thus obtained are also involved in the worldwide observation of the marine mammals.
* Lectures by marine biologists as part of an educational programme in Spanish school classes, to evoke understanding for the importance of the marine mammals, their habitat and their protection (in collaboration with the Spanish Ministry of Environment).
* Cultural and informative events in various public places in Germany and Switzerland.
* Presence with information stands and lectures at various tourism fairs in Switzerland and Germany.
FIRMM Whale Watching reviews
It was literally amazing. The explanation before the tour was very clear and helpful. The trip itself was amazing. The wales, dolphins and orca's were very impressive. I would absolutely recommend it. more »
It was a wonderful experience for the family. We saw a spermwhale, a lot of killer whales and some dolphins. more »
Build a planTell us where and when you
want to go, we will build
the best sightseeing itinerary
Refine itYou have complete flexibility on your destinations and itinerary
Book as a packageUse our travel agents to get
package savings and hassle free booking
Enjoy your trip!Enjoy our 24x7
See all ›
Side trips from Tarifa
Hidden gems in Tarifa
See all ›
See all ›
Plans in Tarifa by other users
11 days in Spain BY A USER FROM GIBRALTAR October, popular sights Preferences: October Attraction style: Popular sights Pace: Medium 56 days in Europe & Africa BY A USER FROM NEW ZEALAND August, culture, outdoors, romantic, historic sites, wildlife, popular sights Preferences: August, culture, outdoors, romantic, historic sites, wildlife Attraction style: Popular sights Pace: Medium 8 days in Tarifa BY A USER FROM SPAIN September, popular sights Preferences: September Attraction style: Popular sights Pace: Medium 56 days in Europe, Africa & Asia BY MAKE MY TRIP May, popular sights Preferences: May Attraction style: Popular sights Pace: Medium 1 day in Tarifa BY A USER FROM THE NETHERLANDS September, popular sights Preferences: September Attraction style: Popular sights Pace: Medium 6 days in Tarifa BY A USER FROM SPAIN August, popular sights Preferences: August Attraction style: Popular sights Pace: Medium