The Thar Desert, also known as the Great Indian Desert, is a large, arid region in the northwestern part of the Indian subcontinent that forms a natural boundary between India and Pakistan. It is the world's 17th largest desert, and the world's 9th largest subtropical desert. About 75% of the Thar Desert is in India, and the remaining 25% is in Pakistan. In India, it covers about 320000km2, forming approximately 10% of the total geographic area of India. More than 60% of the desert lies in the state of Rajasthan and extends into Gujarat, Punjab, and Haryana. This desert comprises a very dry part, the Marusthali region in the west, and a semidesert region in the east with fewer sand dunes and slightly more precipitation.Plan to visit Thar Desert Tours and other customer-reviewed, writer-recommended Jaisalmer attractions using our Jaisalmer trip planner.
The Thar Desert extends between the Aravalli Hills in the north-east, the Great Rann of Kutch along the coast and the alluvial plains of the Indus River in the west and north-west. Most of the desert is covered by huge shifting sand dunes that receive sediments from the alluvial plains and the coast. The sand is highly mobile due to strong winds occurring before the onset of the monsoon. The Luni River is the only river integrated into the desert. Rainfall is limited to 100- per year, mostly falling from July to September.
Create an itinerary including Thar Desert Tours
Thar Desert Tours reviews
We booked an overnight camel safari with Kamal via email and WhatsApp - everything was as described. Service: Kamal arranged for a tuk tuk to pick us up from our hotel and also stored our luggage... more »
One of our favorite things we did in our month in India. Excellent camel drivers and hospitality in Jaisalmer (complimentary tuk tuks and shower). 24 hours (1 night) in the desert was the perfect... more »
Thank you for a beautiful trip. Enjoy it really much lakhiya camel driver was really good he live in the desert. Good food . Non tourists desert. Good camels. We had a grate. Time.
Wonderful time in desert with Thar tours. Nice long camel ride and excellent food around the campfire. All the staff was polite and met other people traveling. Great experience!
Build a tripTell us where and when you
want to go, we will build
the best sightseeing itinerary
Refine itYou have complete flexibility on your destinations and itinerary
Book as a packageUse our travel agents to get
package savings and hassle free booking
Enjoy your trip!Enjoy our 24x7
Popular things to do in Jaisalmer
Historic Sites in Jaisalmer
Hidden gems in Jaisalmer
Shopping in Jaisalmer
Museums in Jaisalmer
Trips to Thar Desert Tours by other users
12 days in India BY A USER FROM JAPAN Mumbai Bhuj Kutch 7 days in Jaisalmer & Jodhpur BY A USER FROM INDIA Jaisalmer Jodhpur 9 days in Rajasthan BY A USER FROM GERMANY Jaipur Udaipur Jodhpur 5 days in Jaisalmer BY A USER FROM INDIA Jaisalmer 7 days in Kumbhalgarh, Udaipur & Jaisalmer BY A USER FROM INDIA Kumbhalgarh Udaipur Jaisalmer 5 days in Rajasthan BY A USER FROM AUSTRALIA Jaipur Sawai Madhopur Jaisalmer