Trip Planner: Asia / Armenia / Gegharkunik Province / Lake Sevan / Sevan / Statue of Akhtamar at Lake Sevan
Lake Sevan is the largest body of water in Armenia and the Caucasus region, and one of the largest freshwater high-altitude lakes in Eurasia. The lake is situated in Gegharkunik Province, at an altitude of 1,900m above sea level. The total surface area of its basin is about 5,000km2, which makes up of Armenia's territory. The lake itself is 1,242km2, and the volume is 32.8km3. It is fed by 28 rivers and streams. Only 10% of the incoming water is drained by the Hrazdan River, while the remaining 90% evaporates.To visit Statue of Akhtamar at Lake Sevan on your holiday in Sevan, and find out what else Sevan has to offer, use our Sevan.
The lake provides some 90% of the fish and 80% of the crayfish catch of Armenia. Sevan has significant economic, cultural, and recreational value. Its only island is home to a medieval monastery.
Sevan was heavily exploited for irrigation of the Ararat plain and hydroelectric power generation during the Soviet period. Consequently, its water level decreased by around 20m and its volume reduced by more than 40%. Two underground tunnels were later built to divert water from highland rivers, which halted its decline and its level began rising. Before human intervention dramatically changed the lake's ecosystem, the lake was 95m deep, covered an area of 1,416km2, and had a volume of 58.5km3. The lake's surface was at an altitude of 1,916m above sea level.
Build a tripTell us where and when you
want to go, we will build
the best sightseeing itinerary
Refine itYou have complete flexibility on your destinations and itinerary
Book as a packageUse our travel agents to get
package savings and hassle free booking
Enjoy your trip!Enjoy our 24x7
Popular things to do in Sevan
Trips to Statue of Akhtamar at Lake Sevan by other users
52 days in Armenia BY A USER FROM GERMANY Yerevan · Areni · Tatev 15 days in Armenia BY A USER FROM INDIA Dilijan · Ijevan · Lake Sevan 38 days in Armenia BY A USER FROM ARMENIA Tatev · Jermuk · Areni 22 days in Azerbaijan, Georgia & Armenia BY A USER FROM EGYPT Baku · Batumi · New Athos 24 days in Azerbaijan, Georgia & Armenia BY A USER FROM AUSTRALIA Baku · Gabala · Tsinandali 11 days in Armenia BY A USER FROM UNITED ARAB EMIRATES Sevan · Areni · Yerevan